living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Wednesday 5 April - Good Night

The night shift arrived: the night shift appear to be a nice bunch of girls, a different breed altogether to the day team I had thus far experienced. Ouch! having said that one of them has just punctured my stomach with a needle containing an anti-clotting solution.

I was taken on a tour of the HDU (high dependency unit) where I should spend the night after my operation: 2 patients to one nurse. I am just beginning to realise how major this procedure is going to be, what with the anaesthetists comments from earlier and now the offer of additional painkillers should the watch ‘thingy’ [PCA].

I think I told my partner and daughter that the HDU was ‘intensive care’: I had better tell them that they may find me in there as a matter of course and not to panic. I am hoping that I don’t get too many visitors tomorrow other than my partner.

I will be encouraged to cough after the procedure and will be able use the PCA to nullify the pain. I am hoping that tomorrow will be nothing but a blur, apart from the tea and toast I am allowed at 06.00 in the morning: after that ‘nil by mouth’. I will get another not drink tonight before retiring to bed.

Already I am missing my family: I was able to phone home after I had the whole procedure explained thoroughly in a very soft and reassuring manner by the night nurse, whose Husband works for the same company that I do and I should know him [which I can later confirm from a photo]. I let it known that I only want one visitor tomorrow.

The night passes without incidence other than the cramps keeping Irish awake.