living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Wednesday 5 April 2006

I waited for the phone call from my local hospital, knowing they were meeting the Doctor/Surgeon at 09.00 this morning, I was expecting some serious news today.
As the time grew nearer to 10.00 I began to get even more restless. I wanted the phone to ring yet at the same time I wished that it never would.
At 10.30 I sat in the nearest vacant side office with my mobile phone staring at the screen: nothing. There was still nothing when I eventually returned to my own desk and then, it rang.
It was the Doctor/Surgeon’s secretary: he wished to see me at the hospital today! My heart sank but my spirits were quickly raised when she added ‘for my operation tomorrow’.
Wow, this was it, it was probably a ‘one-off’ occurrence, I now hoped it was as the operation was to be taken as a good sign.
The secretary was not all that clued-up on my case because she ‘had just got back in’, I assumed she meant from a holiday. She did not know the results of the PET Scan but was sure the Doctor would have them for me later. I was to arrive at the hospital this afternoon at 14.00.
I phoned Tracey Vein at my local hospital who said she knew it would be me calling as soon as my call had been put through to her office: she wondered if my ears had been burning since I was the topic of conversation in the office and they were on the verge of calling me. Tracey confirmed that although that they had not seen the actual results of the PET scan they were led to believe that it was in fact good news, all signs indicated there were no other incidences of rogue cells. Tracey wished me good luck and said she may visit me in hospital next week, time permitting.
I could not wait to leave work I just had to get away, the sooner I was gone the sooner this would be over. I needed to make a phone call home and say a few goodbyes first though. I phoned home with the news and then went around the office to say a few goodbyes. It was the handshakes from my male colleagues that bought a lump to my throat not the hug from my female best friend.
I left the office and drove home.