living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Wednesday 5 April - Pain: Optional?

Bloody hell, I very nearly missed my first hospital food, not a wise thing to do because you never know what is going to be on the trolley get what you can, when you can and eat whatever you can: chicken soup, beef sandwiches, cheese and biscuits.
I had my weight measured and answered more questions.
From my prime window seat I could see the visitors begin to arrive and managed to spot my partner and our daughter and one of my daughters from my previous marriage.
My visitors have come and gone: it was lovely to see them and I could not wait so I went and greeted them as they waited in The Hub for the doors to be opened. During their visit 18.30 – 20.00 ‘Two visitors per bed’, they witnessed my chest being shaved, blood pressure being taken, a trip to the x-ray department [despite conflicting opinions as to whether another one was required or not] and a bedside visit by the anaesthetist, who went into great detail of how the operation was possibly one of the most painful a person could have. This graphic detail did not go down too well with my daughter: I had told her this operation would be quite routine and I would be up and about in no time at all.
The anaesthetist discussed the various options of pain relief post operative; he informed me my preferred option of pain relief using tablets would not be an option as it would require something a little stronger.
I am sure he mentioned an epidural as an option, but dismissing this and the use of an intravenous drip I opted for a PCA (patient controlled analgesia). I am reluctant to have a drip placed in my right arm since the operation upon it and the chemotherapy my arms and wrists do not take to well to needles. I like the sound of using a PCA, whereby you can increase the amount of pain relief you get receive by pressing a button on the PCA pump: it will be worn on the wrist like a ‘watch’. I will no doubt let you know how I get on with the watch ‘thingy’ later.