living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Monday 13 March 2006

[I went into work this morning; my appointment at the Out-Patient Clinic for the results of the tests is not until 11.45: I also received a phone call from home informing me that I had another letter requesting my attendance at a Clinic at yet another hospital on March 20th.]

Out-Patients - The longest wait in a waiting room so far. A nurse, who took my blood pressure and weight, is rushed off her feet, but very jolly. She mentioned that it was an unlucky day with it being the 13th day of the month and how everything seemed to be going wrong.
I will not be seeing the Chest doctor today; I will be seeing a locum.

I settled in to read my book whilst other patients around me got agitated.
One in particular was very annoying as he sighed and moaned every five minutes. He even corrected someone when they informed a patient the clinic was behind schedule by 1 hour
‘One hour and 20 minutes to be precise, my appointment was at eleven o’clock’ he piped up for all to hear.
And If I had my way you would be waiting another hour longer than everyone else you old fart.

My wait was a little shorter and a lot less painful than his, since I had my book for company. Plus, I am not as petty minded as some.

The Nurse, whom I shall call Tracy since that is her name, who had first arranged for all the aforementioned tests and examinations called me to the Doctors room, where I met the locum. As with all locums he was young.

‘What do you think you are being investigated for?’, or words to that effect, was the first thing he said to me as I sat down.
I looked at Tracy sat opposite for support and she gave me a knowing sad smile.
‘I reckon it is cancer’ I replied.

He confirmed that it was and an appointment had been made at another Hospital to discuss options. I told him I knew and had already been informed by letter that morning. Poor Tracy grimaced, she was incredulous that the letter should had been sent prior to this mornings debrief. At least I cannot say the NHS is not efficient.

It was explained that my case had been discussed last Wednesday and all signs pointed towards a Malignant Tumour in a lobe of my right lung. [We have three lobes in the right hand side and only to in the left, just as well it’s that side then]
Next Monday’s appointment would discuss my options with regards to its removal.

I was asked if I had any questions, I asked a few, but after a hiatus between us Tracy suggested she took me off to her office for a sit down and a chat.

The one question I wanted to ask and it spun over and over in my mind was ‘would I be able to place Tennis?’, I don’t know why as I have never played before. I guess it was meant as a joke to lighten the atmosphere in the room, but my mind would not let it out.

Tracy’s office – she explained as best she could what would happen regarding the operation, she asked how I felt and was extremely supportive.
My real concern was how and when would I tell my daughters since their mother was due in Hospital for a procedure to remove and treat skin Cancer on Tuesday 21 March. With that and exams they have more than enough on their plate right now.
I assure Tracy I would get through this for my family, including my lovely 11-month old daughter.

Right now I needed to tell my partner and have a smoke [silly I know still smoking cigars but its what I do]

Tracy gave me a card promised to stay in touch and wished me luck as I left, it was her day off tomorrow but if I needed to ask questions or talk then I should not hesitate to call; someone will be in the office to help.

Needless to say I did not return to work.
I broke the news as quickly as I could to my Partner; there is no other way of doing it. It was naturally upsetting for her. We are there for each other.