living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Thursday 23 February 2006

‘Hello, surgery’’
‘Hello, I am phoning to enquire as to whether my results have come back from the Hospital’
‘Hold on a moment…’

‘Hello, I am new to this, I don’t seem to be able to find anything, I will ask someone else, Hold on a moment…’’

Different woman ‘Hello, are you phoning about the letter I sent you?’’
‘No, what letter?’’
‘Ah, well there is one in the post, you have an appointment at the Hospital on Monday 27th’’
‘Can I come in and see the Doctor to discuss this?’
‘Yes, it will be the original doctor#1; doctor#2 is on holiday, tomorrow afternoon OK?’

At this point I must mention the fact that under normal circumstances it is extremely difficult to get to see a Doctor at a moment’s notice, so you begin to realise that all is not well. I have been here before, having had bone cancer in 1992 and subsequent treatment and annual check-ups until 2004 when I was eventually signed-off and given the all-clear.
Unfortunately, it is about this time that my ex wife has been diagnosed with skin cancer and is going through remedial treatment herself. I would’ve let her in on my current situation as it will impact upon our two teenage daughters if it becomes anything other than routine.
I can only offer her my support as she would hers.
I vow to keep my partner involved throughout the process, and since I have given her permission to open all my post as it arrives there will be no hiding much from her anyway.