living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Monday 13 October 2008 – Even closer

We attended the Consultant Surgeon appointment today and have come away with much more of an idea where we are at than we have had during recent visits to hospital.

They are still none the wiser yet if it is a cyst or a tumour causing the blockage and tomorrow’s EUS should be able to tell, I may still need more CT scans after that.
Whether it is a cyst or a tumour then either way I am looking at no less than major surgery. If it is a cyst it is much larger than normal and will need to be removed, which is not easy but it can be operated on successfully without any loss of quality in life.

If it is a tumour an operation will also be probable but other factors will determine treatment and operations.

The Consultant believes we are looking at more of a ‘probable’ than ‘possible’ chance that it is a tumour. Naturally I want to discuss this will family first so please do not allow any of this to become general knowledge at this time.

In order that I able to cope with major surgery I have to be a lot fitter than I am and my body needs to be functioning properly, which it is not due to the blockage. They are therefore looking at getting me into surgery for another procedure to open up the tube from my liver to the pancreas by the insertion of a ‘stent’, which is a straw like tube that will allow the stomach to function, the jaundice to subside and therefore permitting me to a eat and put on weight again.
This operation could be as soon as this Thursday!
If not then the week after.

I have now lost 4 ½ stone since June, which is concerning them most. In addition to this the pains, when walking, are out of the ordinary and need to be assessed, in the meantime I have been taken off the pain killer Tramadol and put on Morphine.

Labels: