living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Friday, October 10, 2008

Thursday 08 October 2008 – Home visit

Today was going to be a waiting day, firstly for the post, then for a home visit and at any time and less expectantly a call from the hospital.
The postman came and went and we had nothing from the hospital but as promised we did receive visitors from work for the first official home visit. Within minutes of the HR officer and office manager sitting down they had promised to extend my period of sick pay for a further month or at least until we know for certain what we are facing.
The meeting panned out quite well and my partner appeared a little more relaxed knowing that we can also expect counselling should it be required through work.
The home visit came to a natural conclusion after one hour and coffee and cakes.

It was with some relief knowing that my partner Zoe was not feeling so alone in all this turmoil and that support was at hand. So we were not expecting what happened just 45 minutes later when I received a phone call from the hospital to tell me of an appointment that was being made for me at the University hospital in Coventry.

I am now waiting for an appointment to come through within a week for an Endoscopic Ultrasound Scan [EUS]. We have searched the internet and these relatively new machines are used primarily by oncology departments and hospitals. The EUS acts as an ultrasound scanner would and is able to view surrounding organs, presumably for damage, as well as being able to take biopsies.

Once again we are left expecting and fearing the worse but we are one more step closer knowing for sure.

Labels: ,