living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Saturday 8 April 2006 - Excellent care

I received the best day care thus far since arriving at the hospital. A nurse, who only works 3 days a week, probably via an agency, came in and turned the whole experience of being in hospital upon its head: she was brilliant.

I must begin by saying that for the first time a nurse, other than the one I encountered on night-shift, let us know what was going to happen that morning and the order it was to be done in: she was friendly, without being over familiar, and so efficient she could teach most nurses a thing or two about patient care.

She ensured we were all offered one form or other of personal cleaning: I accepted and welcomed the offer of an assisted shower; it was wonderful to feel so much cleaner than a bed wash. One of the occupants of our bay who would probably benefit most from a shower declined and chose to wash himself from a bowl, but at least this option was open to him too.

I really felt cared for and was ready to face the day and a visit from my mother and sister.
Later that evening my two daughters both came to visit.

In addition to Get Well cards all my daughters had left a picture of themselves to go with the one my partner bought of our little one.