living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Friday 7 April - Relief

I have my family visiting me this morning; this includes one of my daughters and my step-daughter.
It is good to see family during times such as these and I can only feel sorry for those who do not receive visitors, I am truly lucky. If you know someone who is in hospital and is not well supported then please go visit them NOW.

Despite numerous requests for something to replace the PCA in the way of painkillers I am given nothing stronger than Paracetamol, which, given all that had been said before hand, would obviously not be enough to quell the pain. As the day wore on the pain got worse. When my evening visitors came, by sister, brother-in-law and partner, I was in an awful amount of discomfort.
It was not until they asked me to move further down the Ward to another bay that I lost my ‘rag’. I was expected to walk two bays down from the one I was currently in, which I did not have a problem with, but when I was reprimanded for not walking upright I lost it and gave the matron that suggested I walk upright such a tirade of abuse I even surprised myself.

The atmosphere changed a little, you could cut the atmosphere with a knife: the pain relief however remained the same.

Once more it was the night-shift who came to my rescue and they promised to get my pain relief under control again and leave words for the dayshift highlighting the poor level of care I had received throughout the day. It was of no surprise to the nightshift that the ‘hairdresser’ nurse was responsible for my day care, and therefore my current condition.
As the pain relief kicked in during the night I felt so much better, however I was not looking forward to tomorrow when the day-shift returns.


My night-nurse savior managed to discreetly turn of the oxygen supply without my noticing in the early hours of the morning, which would aid my ability to become less dependant upon it for breathing. Thereafter I managed without it with no difficulty.