living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Tuesday 30 May 2006 – Scans

The hospital has changed somewhat in the 2 years since I was last there for a check-up.
I was more than surprised to discover that ‘ticket’ machines similar to those found on meat counter at supermarkets in use in order to be seen at the reception desk!

I had not noticed them on my way in and proceeded straight to an available receptionist on the desk.

She informed me I needed to get a ticket in order to be seen: my ticket turned out to be Number 8; two minutes later I was back at the desk having had my number called in the same recorded voice you can experience at the Post Office “Ticket number 8 Please

Unfortunately the machine could not tell me that I could have gone straight to the X-Ray department, despite being where I was supposed to be according to the appointment letter I had received: I had to wait to see the same receptionist, who had turned me away upon arrival, to do that.

After that human contact got much better in the X-Ray departments at both hospitals I visited for the CT scan and the full-body
Bone scan. The day went off without a hitch but I was so glad I took a book along with me as it took 3 hours or more for the radioactive injection to work its way through my system prior to the bone scan.