living with cancer

This is the one diary I should have kept 14 years ago and one I wish I did not feel the need to keep now. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992 and survived. 2006 and I now have another tumor under investigation: the journey begins again..

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

December 2005

– Early in the month it began with the usual seasonal cold. I desperately wanted to be rid of it before the festivities, having suffered from a bout the previous year.
After several packets of Beechams strongest tablets, bottles of cough elixir and the likes it slowly abated.
On the Friday before I was due to break up from work for the Christmas holidays it was back again.

Christmas was brilliant. We had our extended family around us, a house with four daughters between us, the eldest 18 yrs, 17 yrs, 15 yrs and finally the newest edition, 8months!
The front room was teaming with presents.

Although I could taste no food whatsoever it was a wonderful time knowing this would probably be the one and only Christmas we would all be together as my two girls would be at their Mothers next year for the holidays and who knows where the eldest two would want to be the years after that!

My own mother had several times told me I should go the Doctors for my cold. How many times have we been instructed not to waste the GPs time with trivial colds I explained? I continued with the home remedies, freshly squeezed lemon juice and sugar mixed with hot water.

I thought I had finally shrugged it off upon my return to work, still coughing a little.
Our office, a very old building that has been ‘modernised’ – which basically means it has had a new lowered ceiling and lighting added. There is no real ventilation to talk about and the air conditioning units are useless as the hoses need feeding out an open window whenever they are put to use, which in turn becomes to draughty for the whingers at the top of the office. Add to this the numerous PC stations, we all have at least one PC, others have two; the heat they generate must contribute to Global warming.

I am, unsurprisingly, not the only one with flu like symptoms given the poor air quality of the office environment.